David W. McGowan

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

BIRTHDAY AT THE BEACH
We planned to spend my birthday at Edisto Beach this year, mainly to scope out whether or not to use this as a future destination for gathering family or friends. In 1998, we brought Jessie, Chris, & Lynda's mom here, & the place had a nostalgic 1950's charm to it. Fast-forward to 2007 without doing any renovations or updates, & you get the idea of what the recent experience was like (in a nutshell)


That's Lynda & I (and Barkley, in arms)

in front of the beach house







Here's a view of the house, from the beach.

I believe those weather-beaten handrails to be

part of the original 1950's construction








Beautiful flowers were blooming everywhere







These were everywhere along the path to the beach







A bird house belonging to some bird family long since gone








Shark's Teeth

(someone had collected these & left them in a sea shell on the deck)









Our view of the beach from the deck







Our view of the neighbor's, from the deck (via telephoto lens)








Our neighbor's view of Lynda & I

(sitting pretty under a little tent I got as a father's day/birthday present)








SEX ON THE BEACH

Two Horse shoe crabs doing the wild thing

right on the beach, in front of God & everybody








Up close & personal!

(I'm guessing the one "in the rear" is the male)






Less exciting things we observed






DUSK AT THE BEACH







Sunset





Going. . .going . .gone







G'mornin'

We had to alter our plans a little towards the end of the week: The weather Channel was predicting a storm would roll through after midnight, bringing rain all the following day. We enjoyed one last day on the beach, then packed up before the rains moved in. (there's NOTHING to do in Edisto Beach but be on the beach. If you get rained out & have to remain indoors, the walls begin to close in). The first drops of rain arrived just about the time I got the last bit of luggage stowed away. We pulled up stakes with no regrets & headed home, knowing that we had accomplished our main objective: scoping out the place for future use. (we believe we've seen the last of Edisto beach for a while).

Finally, I got to spend my birthday at work, working :^(

. . .and publishing my blog for you to read ;^)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home